Saturday, February 22, 2014

Everlasting Change

The last day of the trip, but my first time blogging ever. I find myself dumbfounded and ecstatic this trip happened. To be given an opportunity to help right where hurricane Katreina hit, there are no words to describe it. I found myself with the group in the ninth ward of New Orleans one of the first days. If you don't know exactly what the ninth ward is, that is where most of the major floods happened. They were hit incredibly hard. What I realized at the moment we walked around the neighborhood, was that I was standing exactly where I saw around eight years ago people stranded on their roofs waiting for help. I remember that time, watching my television with my mom by my side, staring at the catastrophic event that was taking place. These New Orleans returners have been stricken with devastation, no one can change that. But they definitely can get help dealing with what happened. When I was sitting in the car in the ninth, one word popped into my thoughts, plagued. These poor poor human beings had lived through so much. And that's one reason I believe it's great to come down to New Orleans. Moral support; hope and to show we care. It's such a moving thing, what Mr. Kane has created. And I can easily say he is my hero. Out of all the politicians, celebrities, friends and family members, Mr. Kane is one of my biggest heroes in this world. No amount of thanks can justify how grateful I am for this experience.
~ Kaitlyn Istnick

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful essay Kaitlyn!
    I am so proud of you!
    Hugs,
    Aunt Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read EVERY entry in this journal and as another has said to me..."they saved the best for last"
    Congratulations on a mission trip and entry well done.
    Nana











    ReplyDelete