Sunday, February 23, 2014

Stars & Scars

               It is so difficult to find a way to interpret the innumerable amount of reflections I've had to summarize the past three years of NOLA. There have been so many memories made, all of which I will always cherish and pass on to those I love. I will try to explain an epiphany I've been realizing the past few days... As hard work and dedication drive every student involved in this organization, there are bound to be a frequent manifestation of scars. I'm not referring to the scars you'd anticipate to read about. I am writing about the ones that have no meaning on the outside, but the ones that have an ethereal meaning on the inside. Everyone that has experienced the thrill and euphoria of this journey understands what I mean. The scars hold celestial memories, like that of gutting an entire house embodied by a gash or a scratch. The torn knuckles created by jagged siding that was painted so meticulously. The skinned knees formed from playing too much knock-out at the basketball court. The cut elbows from pulling hundreds of pounds of food from an enormous box to redistribute to families in need. Every scar has its purpose and its message. Those that are left on the inside are sometimes even more profound than the cosmetic wounds. The feeling of dismay when a man or woman has no place to stay but an abandoned parking lot. The mourning of those whose lives were stolen by a storm of unthinkable proportion. The sadness that is spawned by the harsh reality of privilege. Scars represent the materialization of remembrance and consciousness of a life lived. They are not a negative aspect of life, but a reassuring one, and one that portrays a moment in time that a lesson was learned. New Orleans has left many scars on all of us, both good and bad. Do not take advantage of them. Remember why they are there and what part of your life was affected by their existence. Reflect on how you may have affected those around you in that moment. Now look at the stars. They are a paradigm of hope. The bright quiver of light they radiate so far up above us symbolizes an illuminated future. Use the lessons of your past to guide you and to push forward. If you set goals and have aspirations you will accomplish anything, no matter of its arduousness. You will discover the real you by examining your stars and scars. The hope, memories, aspirations, inspirations, motivation, and passions you have are all inside of you, just waiting to be unveiled. New Orleans has proven this to me. Everyone who participated in service learning at my side also know it. I am so grateful and proud to have been a part of this experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I have opened my eyes to a greater perspective and have finally learned that everything in life serves a purpose. I hope I've touched the hearts of others as much as they have mine. Inspiration is not easy to come by, but NOLA has provided me all I've ever needed and what I have to show for it are my scars and the stars above.

-Bryan Vachon


No comments:

Post a Comment