Friday, February 21, 2014

What I have seen and who I have become to be

This is not known to most people, but I am not very confident with myself, nor am I able to communicate my feelings very well with others. Even tonight before two other members of the group opened up to the rest of the group, I wanted to let everyone know how I was feeling but I still couldn't find the confidence to share my feelings or who I truly am. So instead, like two other nights this week I decided to blog about those feelings instead.
Every night at the reflections I have so much to say and so many emotions to express but when the time comes I can not find the words to truly express how I am feeling. I am not very confident speaking in front of others, although in school it seems to be different, I tend to just keep to myself and share the least amount of emotions and experiences as possible.
Being down here with everyone for the first time has truly changed my life and no amount of thanks would ever be enough to express how truly grateful I am. Just in the 6 days that I have been down here I have worked the hardest that I have ever worked in my whole 17years of existing on this Earth. This work that I have done has also been the most rewarding and satisfying work that I have ever done as well. I am a very hard worker and I work a consistent 30+ hours at my job every week along with going to school everyday and playing sports for NM. However none of that compares to the amount of service and work that I have down while down here in New Orleans. No amount of work that I do back in Madsachusetts will ever equal this experience and the work that I have done in just these few couple days.
Words can not and never will be able to describe this experience as it is truely life changing. At the very first reflection Mr. Kane said that everyone would get emotional and I didn't believe him, but after tonight I saw that he was correct. In my emotions tonight I wrote up a poem:

Be the Change you want to see:

Waking up in the morning is like your homes stay
Then comes breakfast, get up and go, time to make your own
Making a difference is what we are doing, not here to just play
The work is so hard don't even try to be caught on your phone

From the work site of Milton where it all started
Gutting and smashing is what is happening there
Everyone working hard, and all open hearted
Even tearing down the ceiling leaving nothing to spare

Then going to Ernest George's where the work is close to being done
Seeing the joy coming back into his eyes,  so close to being back
I do not like painting, but the group there made it all the fun
Like the flood from Katerina, giving no warning to try and pack

New friendships were made, and old ones were lost
Although time is short, and the trip is coming to an end
Doing the work on the site at every and all cost
I have realized now that, till the very end they will be my friend

~Mike Niemi

No comments:

Post a Comment